Places and Spaces


Oskar von Miller Forum
Architect: Thomas Herzog + Partners

Date: 2009
City: Munich
Address: Oskar-von-Miller-Ring 25
Public Transport Stop: Odeonsplatz

The Oskar of Miller forum — in the heart of Munich near the Technical University of Munich (TUM) — is an international guest house and center for students of the building trade, as well as guest scientists.

Munich Stadtmuseum, City Museum

Client: Ernst von Destouches
Date: 1888
City: Munich
Address: St.-Jakobs-Platz 1
Public Transport Stop: Reichenbachplatz

The Munich Stadtmuseum is located in the former municipal arsenal and stables, both buildings of the late Gothic period.
Permanent exhibitions:
  • Culture history of Munich
  • National Socialism in Munich
  • Music collection
  • Puppet theatre collection
  • Photography collection
  • Museum of film

Intersolar (Trade Fair)

Public Transport Stop: Messestadt West

Intersolar Europe is the world’s largest exhibition for the solar industry, established in 1991. As the international platform for solar technology, it reflects the dynamic development along the entire value added chain in the areas of photovoltaics and solar thermal technology - and therefore encompasses far more than any other event.


EG venture is a new type of property ownership housing cooperative,which has its origin in the Schwabingresidential projects. The purpose of the cooperative is to provide its members housing in a safe environment, which above all is socially and environmentally responsible. Housing cooperatives are a “third way”between the traditional solutions and rental property. They are both an economic enterprise on the one hand and a resident-self-organization on the other. The fees are reasonable and economically cheaper in the long run than paying rent. The apartments are not objects of speculation, but are a long term enterprise, which may be inherited by heirs.

Wagnis I and II
Architect: A2 Architects (Stefan Lautner, Rainer Roth)
Date: 2005
Address: Rosa-Aschenbrenner-Bogen

Wagnis III
Architect: Bogerischs Buero
Date: 2009
Address: Volkart Straße 2a

Wagnis I: The Rosa-Aschenbrenner-
Bogen created 92 apartments and
community facilities, including the
neighborhood market , the neighborhood
café ( Café dining Rigoletto )
and two guest apartments

Wagnis II : In the Elisabeth-Kohn-
Straße 29. Originated in the House
Olympus. 50 apartments with a common
room and a guest apartment . .

Wagnis III : In the Messestadt wagnis built a residential complex with 95
apartments, completed in 2009.

Swiss Re Office Building

Architect: BRT Architects

The design for this building is based on individual offices linked together by a central main hall and access bridges between the units of floating structures, allowing the employees to concentrate on team and project work without loosing the feeling of togetherness with other groups. Landscaped areas are  positioned so that the building accomodates itself to the natural environment while creating a peaceful and relaxed working atmosphere for the employees and clients.

Mittlerer Ring Ost

Date: 2006 - 2009
Public Transport Stop: Richard-Strauss-Strasse

These tunnels were created to mitigate noise and particulate pollution from the four-lane highway  beneath. They are accompanied by wide green strips with tree rows, park bays and bike paths. The barrier effect is created by the ring mediator.

Museum Brandhorst

Architect: Sauerbruch Hutton

Date: 2009

Address: Theresienstrasse 35a
Public Transport Stop: Line 27, alight at Pinakotheken

The building with its long, two-storey, rectangular structure and multicoloured facade composed of 36,000 vertical ceramic louvres in 23 different coloured glazes. It has three exhibition areas which are connected by stairs. All galleries (with the exception of the Media Suite) have white walls and wooden floorboards of Danish oak. It displays about 200 exhibits from collection of modern art.

BMW Museum + Administrative High-Rise

Architect: Karl Schwanzer
Client: BMW
Date: 1973 / 2008

Address: Am Olympiapark 2
Public Transport Stop: Olympiazentrum

The BMW museum brings the 90+ year BMW heritage to life in an experience encompassing all the senses and invoking the spirit of the innovative, dynamic character of BMW. The museum architecture, and exhibition and media design form an ideal setting to present the rich tapestry of themes in a very special way. The BMW Museum takes new approaches by integrating contemporary architecture
with the historic buildings in the same way as the brand is always setting new and innovative benchmarks
for engineering and design.

Audi Sales Center

Architect: Allmann Sattler Wappner Architekten
Client: Autohaus Albrechtstrasse

The four-story steel-reinforced concrete supported structure houses several show rooms occupying two
floors. The show rooms are bordered by reinforced concrete walls that are curved in the ground floor and inclined in the elevated section. In certain areas these curved walls are merged into supports; this design feature in turn creates the galleries located at the same level as the mezzanine floors. Extending the walls in the second and third floors has allowed a corner of the building to be created that stretches
over two floors, requires no supporting columns and is fully enclosed by glass.

Olympic Stadium

Architect: Günther Behnisch and Frei Otto
Client: Germany
Date: 1972
Address: Spiridon-Louis-Ring 21
Public Transport Stop: Olympiazentrum

The design includes large, sweeping canopies of acrylic glass stabilized by steel cables that were used for the first time in a large scale. The idea was to imitate the Alps and symbolize the new, democratic and optimistic Germany. This is reflected in the official motto: “The Happy Games”. In addition to being a sports venue (mainly football and skiing), the Olympic Stadium and Olympic Riding Stadium (Olympia-Reitstadion) have played host to many open-air concerts.

Museum of Modern Art

Architect: Stephan Braunfels
Client: State of Bavaria
Date: 2002

Address: Barer Strasse 40
Public Transport Stop: Number 27, stop Pinakothek

The rectilinear facade, dominated by white and grey concrete, is interrupted by large windows and  highrising columns, the latter supporting the extensive canopied roof. Each of the four corners of the building, connected by a central rotunda, is dedicated to a special collection. The Museum is thus divided into Art (Kunst), Architecture (Architektur), Design (Design) and Works on Paper (Graphik).

Steidle + Partner Housing

Architect: Steidle + Partner

Date: 1972
City: Munich
Address: Genterstrasse, 13
Public Transport Stop: Nordfriedhof (U)

For the design of each building Otto Steidle worked with different collaborators and the building solutions evolved with time, although all are based on the use of prefabricated elements and on a clear distinction between loadbearing and nonloadbearing systems. The use of industrialised systems achieves an osmosis between the buildings and the surrounding vegetation, and and utilizes different cladding systems. The frame allows later modifications, aimed at returning the control over design and the evolution to the users.


Architect: Baureferat und Planungsreferat München and Landschaftsarchitekurbüro Jühling + Bertram
Date: 2004
City: Munich
Address: Above PetueltunnelPublic

The Petuelpark above the Petueltunnel (longest tunnel in Munich, closed in 1992) is located in the North of Munich between the district Schwabing and Milbertshofen. The Petuelring is a part of the “Mittlerer Ring” which is an important main road with about 120.000 vehicles per day. The park is an interesting case study of participatory planning and design, as citizens played a large role in shaping the outcome through public workshops, etc. In addition, 13 international artists under the leadership of Stefan Huber took part in the participation process.

Alte Pinakothek

Architect: Leo von Klenze
Client: King Ludwig I of Bavaria
Date: 1836 / 1957
City: Munich
Address: Barer Straße 27
Public Transport Stop: Near TUM

The collections of the Alte Pinakothek date back to the collecting zeal shown by the dukes, electors
and kings of Bavaria from the House of Wittelsbach. It was opened in 1836, and became an archetype
of classical museum architecture. Considerably damaged during the Second World War, the gallery was
rebuilt by Hans Döllgast in 1957. However, rather then merely reconstructing the missing parts of the
walls, these areas were replaced with bare brickwork, in order for them to remain as visible “wounds”.


City: Munich
Address: Marienplatz
Public Transport Stop: Marienplatz

“St. Mary’s Square” has been the city center since 1158. In the Middle Ages markets and tourn Marienplatz was named after the Mariensäule, a Marian column erected in its centre in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation. Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall
(Neues Rathaus) on the north side and the Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus) to the east. The Glockenspiel  tower was inspired by the tournaments that were held here, and draws millions of tourists a year. The pedestrian zone between Karlsplatz and Marienplatz is a crowded area with many shops and restaurants.

Uptown Munich

Architect: Ingenhoven, Overdiek
Date: 2004
City: Munich
Address: Georg-Brauchle-Ring

The Uptown Munich building is 146 metres (479 ft) high, making it the tallest skyscraper in the city. Its
glass facade wraps the structure of the building like a tensioned membrane. Innovative circular  ventilation elements open individually to provide natural ventilation. The tower is surrounded by several mixed-use and residential buildings within its campus. The height of the tower was controversial, and spurned several local attempts to limit building height in the central city. The current tenant of the building is O2.

Tierpark Hellabrunn Aviary

Architect: Jorg Gribl, Frei Otto
Client: Tierpark Hellabrunn
Date: 1980
City: Munich
Address: Tierparkstrasse 30
Public Transport Stop: Tierpark (U), Tiroler Platz (tram)

The oldest Geo-Zoo in the world is an idyllic nature island along the Isar River. It is divided into continents according to the Geo-zoo concept which results in 15 park areas in an area of 36 hectares (89 acres), making it the largest zoo in Europe. The zoo can cover its needs for fresh water by using its own wells, as the groundwater level here is rather high and the water is of very good quality.

Allianz Arena
Architect: Herzog & de Meuron
Client: Allianz
Date: 2005
City: Munich
Address: Werner-Heisenberg-Allee 25
Public Transport Stop: Fröttmaning

This stadium is the home to both of Munich’s football clubs, FC Bayern Munich and TSV 1860 München. The arena facade is constructed of 2,874 ETFE-foil air panels that are 0.2 mm and kept inflated with dry air to a differential pressure of 0.038 hPa. The panels appear white from far away but when examined closely, you cam see through them. Each panel can be independently lit with white, red, or blue light. The panels are lit at each game with the colors of the respective home team, or white if the home team is the German national football team.

Funeral Parlor (Munich-Riem)

Architect: Meck and Koppel

Date: 2000
City: Munich
Address: Am Mitterfeld 68
Public Transport Stop: Bus 139, stop Friedhof Riem

The funerary complex at Munich-Riem by Andreas Meck and Stephan Koppel is a distinguished addition to the modern Northern European tradition of buildings that honor rites of passage with quiteness and thoughtfulness. The simple, clear buildings, together with the rough enclosing, form a place of silence. Three courtyards divide the lot. The buildings are classified as serious, with oak, steel and stone Corte (concrete and stone) determining the image. All materials are massive and left untreated. Under a stone roof, one can find the parlour: a smooth oak cube.

Apartment and Commercial Building Herrnstrasse

Architect: Herzog and De Meuron

Date: 2000
City: Munich
Address: Herrnstrasse 44
Public Transport Stop: Between Marienplatz and Isartor

The ‘Wohn- und Geschäftshaus am Herrnstrasse’ in the old center has a strong interaction between opening and closing. Every other element in the floor-to-ceiling glazing is a sliding door. The  anthracite-brown galvanized window frames give the inner layout maximum flexibility - and together with the wave-shaped sunscreens, the building has an ever changing appearance according to the weather. On the rooftop, an intimate wooden penthouse is placed, with large windowsills, made out of oak wood. The underground car park can be reached by an auto lift.

Park Plaza

Architect: Otto Steidle

Date: 2002
City: Munich
Address: Hans-Durrmeyerstrasse 2–4

This high-rise residential tower in the newly structured city neighborhood on the Munich Theresienhöhe,
is very cheerful on all sides, with extending balconies and its beautiful color. Otto Steidle’s yellow,  43-meter high Park Plaza is situated next to the KPMG accounting office, a new branch of the Deutsche Museum, and a large pedestrian square.

Highlight Business Towers

Architect: Murphy-Jahn
City: Munich
Address: Mies-van-der-Rohe-Strasse 40
Public Transport Stop: U3: Nordfriedhof

Two slim, 113- and 126 meter tall towers, connected by three bridges of glass and steel unmistakably take position at Münchner Tor. The façade was designed with technological and ecological aspects in mind and gives the building a smooth, crystalline appearance. The structure looks light and transparent.

Rewriting Stairs Sculpture

Architect: Olafur Eliasson
Client: KPMG Deutsche Treuhand-Gesellschaft
Date: 2004
City: Munich
Address: Heimeranstrasse

This artistic staircase is designed by Olafur Eliasson and is called Umschreibung (Rewriting), and was
completed in 2004. This beautiful merging of art and architecture is a 9 meter-high walk-double spiral of steel. It is located in the courtyard of the global accounting firm KPMG in Munich.

Maximiliansforum Tunnel

Architect: Peter Haimerl
Client: Bau- und Kulturreferat Munich
Date: 2002
City: Munich
Address: Maximilianstrasse
Public Transport Stop: Tram 19 

In the 1970’s a traffic belt was placed around the city center of Munich which also cut the exclusive Maximilianstraße with its showrooms, galleries, studio theatres and the national theatre. This pedestrian
tunnel is the relict of plans for an unconstructed tunnel under the old city ring road at this junction. It was not suitable for reunifying the divided streets. During the revival a public place of art was created. 3 Movable glass doors or walls create various space solutions: one big closed room, two opposite side spaces or an open accessible space, which makes the space suitable for different uses.

Pavillions Kandinsky

Architect: Palais Mai
Client: E.ON Energie AG
Date: 2008
City: Munich
Address: Konigsplatz
Public Transport Stop: City center, Königsplatz

For the Wassily Kandinsky retrospective in Munich, two temporary pavillions were set up at Königsplatz. The pavillions reference the exhibition and mark the two locations of the exibition. The triangular buildings’
rotated positions guides the visitors between the two exibition spaces. One building contains the bookshop
Walther König, the other houses the visitors office, ticket counter, and toilets. With close to 400,000 expected visitors it seemed necessary to separate the service facilities from the main buildings while designing
the temporary buildings in harmony with the surrounding buildings.

Micro Compact Homes

Architect: Haack, Hoepfner
Client: Studentenwerk München
Date: 2005
City: Munich
Address: Grasmeierstrasse 25
Public Transport Stop: U: Studentenstadt, walk down Grasmeierstrasse

Small, easily transportable spaces for easydeployment have been realized by a generation of new architects.
They are unconventional cellular spaces designed to be docked with existing houses, as suspended or standalone units. They form a category distinct from campervans, which remain within the domain of
automotive design. These cross the dividing lines between the disciplines of planning, architecture and car
design. With an overall length of 2.66 meters, the cubes consist of a wood sandwich construction with an aluminium skin and an inner cladding of ployurethane foam and PVC.

Residential and Office Building - Nymphenburger Strasse

Architect: Allmann Sattler Wappner

Date: 2005
City: Munich
Address: Nymphenburger Strasse 125–127
Public Transport Stop: U: Mailingerstrassse or Rotkreuzplatz

With the exception of the external walls, the insides of the existing old factory building (dating from 1893)
were completely removed. The large office is completely open-plan. The rooms in the attic were set back
from the original wall line, allowing space for a roof garden. The technical innovation in this building is to be
found in the staggered, street-facing windows: to achieve soundproofing, the window units have several
parts: behind the upright rectangular façade panel, there is a horizontally pivoting window that can be used to
regulate ventilation without admitting traffic noise.

Galeriahaus Messestadt Riem

Architect: Röpke Architekten

Date: 1999
City: Munich
Address: Lehrer-Wirth-Straße 15-19
Public Transport Stop: U: Line 2/Messestadt West

These 172 councils flats and 2 artist ateliers are accessed via a central hall with glass roof, the so-called
Galeria. The hall lies like an arcade between the two laterally arranged structures and offers the 600 multinational residents an open space that is utilisable all-year round. They impart an open, communicative
atmosphere with access balconies, gangways and plants. The flats themselves, each covering 33 to 110
m2, can be utilised variably with a living/dining/kitchen area.

Jauch House

Architect: Gruber + Popp
Client: Lotte Jauch & Professor Karl-
Walter Jauch
Date: 2006
City: Munich
Address: Sonnenblumenstrasse 20

The task of modernization and reorganization of an existing house dating from the 1930s lead the architects to a clear addition of a new space for living. Red anodized aluminium panels form an inspiring individual volume, connected to the existing building by a glass joint. The anodized panels show the owners’ longing for colour and the architect’s ambition for sustainability.

Mercedes-Benz Center

Architect: Lanz Architects
Client: Mercedes-Benz
Date: 2002
City: Munich
Address: Arnulfstrasse 61

The transparent building offers optimal show possibilities on one of the busiest traffic bridges in Europe.
The completely glass structure looks like an over-sized display window and together withe the 65 meter tall,
elliptical glass tower, it marks the western entrance to the city centre. (from munich-arch.and desing; teneues)
From me: Nice showroom and museum, not so good like “Mercedes Centre in Berlin” or “BMW Welt” but
anyway, you can make photos, and sit in almost every new car. The elevation make the best attraction in the

Office Complex Nymphe

Architect: Walter &; Bea Betz

Date: 2002
City: Munich
Address: Nymphenburgerstrasse 3

http://www.mimoa. eu/projects/Germany/Munich/Office+Complex+Nymphe

The project is divided into five buildings, some of which are interconnected. The first building raised on Nymphenburger Strasse is a 10-story high-rise through which an open passageway leads into a quiet, planted inner courtyard. The remaining buildings are grouped around a pavilion located in the center of the courtyard. Mostly undisturbed by trends, Walter & Bea Betz have created buildings that continually emphasize the value of atmospheric qualities that sensually convey architecture to its users. All the buildings with their signature have irregular floor plans and large, clear surfaces.

Unterfohring Park Village

Architect: MVRDV, BGSP + Kraemer
Client: Merkur GmbH&Co
Date: 2004
City: Munich
Address: Betastrasse 10

After winning a 1999 competition, MVRDV was commissioned to develop a master plan for this office park.
19 different buildings are arranged on a shared plaza in order to create the highest possible density with an
urban atmosphere. The ‘car free’ plaza functions as a public meeting point. Private gardens, lawns and
terraces on the roofs form another landscape, visible only from inside the offices. Surrounded by trees and
hedges, it resembles a green belt. The ‘Village’ fills a central void in the commercial area and thus becomes
the new centre. The houses vary in volume and façade material. This results in a heterogeneous ensemble,
contrasting the large-scale projects in the neighbourhood.


Architect: Meck Architects

Date: 2008
City: Munich
Address: Hildegard-von-Bingen-Anger 1–3
Public Transport Stop: Harthot

The Dominikuszentrum constitutes a cultural and spiritual centre in the newly developed district near Münchener Nordheide. A very highgrade red brick, fired in a peat kiln, gives the centre its characteristic appearance. It stands for human scale and timeless building culture, and calls to mind the primary building material: earth. Very irregular stones were chosen with great care to give the façade a lively, sculptural quality. 300 bronze crosses have been immured in the external walls of the chapel. Their arrangement in groups of three symbolises the holy trinity. The proportions of the chapel are derived from the golden section, both in ground plan and elevation.

Academy of Fine Arts

Architect: Coop Himmelb(l)au
Client: Freistaat Bayern
Date: 2005
City: Munich
Address: Akademiestrasse 2

Based on the idea of transforming the 3 different urban spatial systems which come together on the site: thestately buildings of Leopoldstrasse / Akademiestrasse; the Schwabing structures; and the garden areas of Leopoldpark. The open configuration of buildings is locked together to produce a sequence of transitory space between the park and urban space: the glass facade as a media membrane, the gate to the Academy, the inner court, the studio terraces as the connecting link and gate to the park. Diagonal ramps and gangways connect the functional areas of the various parts of the building and thus the different departments.

St. Johann von Capistran

Architect: Sep Ruf

Date: 1960
City: Munich
Address: 3 Gotthelfstraße
Public Transport Stop: Bohmerwaldplatz (U)

The round Catholic church building was consecrated The front door shows figures in relief out of the
Bible and was formed of Heinrich Kirchner. Before the church, a monument stands for the holy St. Johann of Capistran, forms prof. Josef Henselmann of sculptor. The belfry in form of a gigantic concrete wall with free hanging bells in windows stands next to the church.

Botanical Gardens

Architect: Holfeld

Date: 1914
City: Munich-Nymphenburg
Address: Menzinger Straße 65
Public Transport Stop: Menzinger Strtram, Botanischer Garten stop

This 22 hectare botanical garden and arboretum cultivates about 14,000 species, and serves to educate
the public and train students of the Ludwig Maximilians University, as well as preserve rare plants and
European bee species. Major areas include an alpine garden, arboretum, collection of moor and steppe plants, rhododendrons, rose garden, and systematic garden. The garden also contains an extensive greenhouse complex.

English Garden

Architect: Sir Benjamin Thompson
Client: Archduke Carl Theodor
Date: 1789
City: Munich

Public Transport Stop: Giselastrasse

The English Garden is of the largest urban public parks in the world, with an area of 3.7 km2 (1.4 sq mi). The name refers to the style of landscape gardening, which was popular in the UK in the early 19th century. The English Garden is divided into two portions by the busy Isarring road. The southern part is around 2 km long and is highly populated, while the northern part, called the Hirschau, is around 3 km long and more peaceful and agrarian. Just past a bridge near the Haus der Kunst art museum, the Eisbach river forms a standing wave about 1 metre high, which is a popular river surfing spot.

Munich Solar Houses

Architect: Thomas Herzog and Partner

Date: 1982
City: Munich
Address: Wilhelm-Raabe Strasse 6

The design uses lightweight timber frames erected over a continuous concrete basement. The angled
south-facing toughened glass roofs pass from ridge to ground level with a broad airspace in front of the
glazed semi-cellular structures behind, thus creating a doubleglazed intermediate temperature zone that reduces internal heating loads in winter by trapping warm air. Overheating in summer is controlled by means of internal roller blinds and large areas of operable louvers. There is heavily insulation,  underfloor heating elements, and hot water by means of roof-mounted solar collectors systems.

Sacred Heart Church

Architect: Allmann Sattler Wappner Architects
Client: Erzbischöfliches Ordinariat München
Date: 2001
City: Munich
Address: Romanstraße 6, 80639

In 1994, the church previously occupying this inner-city site was destroyed by fire. The new church
consists of a volume set within another volume: a translucent glass cube envelops a timber shrine, which
houses the main liturgical space and contains more than 2,000 vertical wood louvres, arranged in such away that the light increases in intensity towards the altar. In contrast, the outer facade is in clear glass at thevestibule end, but completely opaque at the altar end. The entire altar wall is taken up by a shimmering, golden, metal-fabric curtain, into which the form of a cross is woven.

Center for Applied Energy Research

Architect: Heinisch, Lembach, Huber,Stuttgart
Client: ZAE
Date: 2000
City: Munich Garching
Address: Walther-Meissner-Str. 6
Public Transport Stop: Garching

This Center is used for energy research, education, consultation, and information documentation. The
society was established in December 1991 with seat in Würzburg, but maintains research institutes in
three locations: Würzburg, Erlangen, and Garching. Approximately 160 scientist, technical and administration employee as well as students work at these locations.


Architect: Architekturbüro Egon Konrad
Client: City of Munich
Date: 1997
City: Munich
Public Transport Stop: Candidplatz

It is located under the Pilgersheimer Straße in the southern area of the city under the Candidbrücke and thus opens the densely populated part Untergiesing. The railway station is named after the painter and sculptor Pieter de Witte, called Candid Pietro, who in the 16th Century worked for residences and for churches in Munich, and created numerous works of art and altarpieces. The whole platform area is painted in a rainbowlike gradient. The coloring comes from R. Knoll and A. Wagner

U-Bahn Stations

Architect: Various
City: Munich

The Munich U-Bahn system is the electric railway public transport network (an underground rapid
transit system), which is integrated with the S-Bahn system. Since 1971, the network has grown to include 91 km (56.5 miles) of active lines and 93 stations. In 2006, 330 million passengers
rode the U-Bahn. Their maximum speed is 80 km/h. Most lines operate with intervals as short as 5 minutes at peak times. The stations feature unique styles, many of which are highly artistic.

Münchner Freiheit

Client: City of Munich

City: Munich

Public Transport Stop: Münchner Freiheit

This station serves as a major interchange for northern Munich. On the surface, a bus terminal is located on the corner of Leopoldstraße and Feilitschstraße. The terminal will also be the southern terminus of Munich’s new tramway line 23 which continues north towards the Parkstadt Schwabing office and residential development. The station has undergone major refurbishing work, both on the concourse and platform levels.


Architect: Auer+Weber
Client: City of Munich
Date: 2001
City: Munich

Public Transport Stop: Westfriedhof

The subway station “Westfriedhof” was planned by the architecture office Auer-Weber and the municipal
unit, the light concept was made by Ingo Maurer and his team. 11 large lamps which measure 3.80 meters on the diameter bath the station in blue, red and yellow light. The walls and the ceiling are drenched in blue light and lend the station the character of a cave, whereas the platform itself is rather bright. Despite the spotlights there are no dark corners. The rough imposing walls come from the little-treated milled slot walls, between which the station has been excavated.


Architect: Braun + Partner
Client: City of Munich
Date: 1996
City: Munich

Public Transport Stop: Hasenbergl

In this station the barrier levels and the platform hall are separated from each other only by stairs and glazed galleries, but apart from that they are connected in a continous unit. Free sight, linear room structures without supports and dark corners result in a construction with an especially clear view. The most striking design element is the leafy ceiling sail of mother-of-pearl coloured sheet metal panelling, on a dark blue background over the platform. Arranged in parallel with light elements that are installed under this construction, it makes the ceiling look like a great reflector and provides optimal  illumination.


Architect: Franz Ackermann
Client: City of Munich
Date: 2003
City: Munich

Public Transport Stop: GeorgBrauchle-Ring

This subway station is the first of the new artistic station generation. Its concept was created within QUIVID, the ‘art on buildings program’ of the Bavarian capital Munich. The artist Franz Ackermann created here ‘The Great Journey’ from 400 metal panels - two huge colour screen walls. Photos,  paintings, postcards and maps are integrated. The walls are lit in yellow, blue, green and red. Each
of the rectangles weighs 135 kg, each wall carries almost 30 tons. The 7-metre high platform hall impresses as a linear, open room without columns. Ackermann’s colour staccato corresponds to the stone slabs on the platform.


Architect: Hermann + Öttl
Client: City of Munich
Date: 1997
City: Munich

Public Transport Stop: Sankt-Quirin-Platz

The hall of the subway station at Sankt-Quirin-Platz is characterized by a shell-shaped glass dome. The
extravagant effect of space is created by daylight pouring through the dome and the contrast of ‘nature’s
force’ and ‘refinement’. As a contrast for this sculptural structure, smooth, shining materials like polished stainless steel, glass and natural stone were used.

Sammlung Goetz (Collection)

Architect: Herzog & de Meuron
Date: 1992
City: Munich
Address: Oberföhringer Straße 103
Public Transport Stop: Bus: Burgerpark Oberfohring

The Goetz Collection (Sammlung Goetz) is a private collection of contemporary art. The gallery building presents a confusingly wide array of lessons through its precisely worked variations on the simple basic and facade grids. The simple, symmetrical container with a skin of changing but related materials (matt glass, birchwood, unfinished aluminium) is a wooden box, raised in a park on
two U-shaped wedges; it is a volume hovering between two glass strips.

Jewish Center

Architect: Wandel Hoefer Lorch
Client: City of Munich
Date: 2006
City: Munich
Address: St.-Jakobs-Platz 16
Public Transport Stop: Sendlinger-Tor (U), Reichenbachplatz (tram),_Germany)

The striking new Jewish Center has transformed the formerly sleepy Jakobsplatz into an elegant modern
square. Architects gave the three buildings a unified appearance by using the same material on all facades. It includes a museum focusing on Jewish history in Munich, a formidable new synagogue with rough marble slabs, and a community center. Free, guided tours of the synagogue are in great demand, so to see it, arrange a time weeks in advance.

Fünf Höfe (Five Courtyards)

Architect: Herzog & de Meuron
Client: HypoVereinsbank
Date: 2001
City: Munich
Address: Theatinerstraße 14
Public Transport Stop: Marienplatz (U), Theatinerstrasse (tram)

Munich’s newest shopping arcade, the Fünf Höfe is located in the very heart of the city, just a few hundred meters from Marienplatz. In the 20th century this area used to be Munich’s central banking district. As the various banks merged into one it was suddenly found that the entire area belonged to one entity, the HypoVereinsbank, who decided to move their offices elsewhere and transform the  remaining buildings into a modern, mixed-use center. Inner walls are steel and glass, outer walls are the original 19th century stone. The use of indoor plants is innovative as well.

BMW Welt

Architect: Coop Himmelb(l)au
Client: BMW Group
Date: 2007
Address: Am Olympiapark 1
Public Transport Stop: Olympiazentrum

This BMW distribution center, event forum and conference center has a 800 kW solar energy plant on the“floating cloud” roof that contributes to the heating of the building.Ventilation is implemented with enveloping surfaces made of glass that create a thermically comfortable surface temperature. Vegetation outside, specifically near the natural ventilation elements bind dust particles and also have a cooling effect. Its distinctive Double Cone and the open style of architecture and glass facade allow a lot of light into the rooms and open up the building towards its surroundings.


Architect: Walter and Bea Betz
Client: Hypo-Bank GmbH & Co
Date: 1981
City: Munich
Address: Richard-Strauss-Straße Denninger street corner
Public Transport Stop: Richard-Strauss-Strasse (U)

This building serves as the headquarters of HypoVereinsbank. The floors of the innovative building, with
its glass and aluminium facade, are suspended from several circular concrete piers. Until 2004, the Hypo-Haus was the highest building in Munich, standing at 114 metres (374 ft) high. The statistical calculations were based on the unusual architecture of very complex and included 100,000 pages.

Eislaufzelt in Olympiapark

Architect: Ackermann und Partner

Date: 1985
City: Munich
Address: Olympic Park

When the Olympic ice stadium opened, a skating rink with wood platforms became a predecessor of
the current ice skating tent at the west side. The roof of this older, unairconditioned ice rink was dismantled in 1983, and the wood platforms and skating rink relocated to the new ice skating tent.


Architect: Gewers, Kuhn and Kuhn
Client: Palos Real Estate
Date: 2003
City: Munich
Address: Marstallplatz

There are places in Munich that are like scenes. On good days, they generate illusions. The illusion that
one is in the south. And the illusion that there are only good days. One of these streets is the backdrop for Maximilianstrasse, which is richer because of its new attraction: the Maximilianhöfe. The facades are
made of transparent or translucent glass and painted aluminum. The Berlin architect Gewers Kühn +
Kühn, who come from the school of Richard Rogers and Norman Foster, have invented a glass facade language that is spoken by each of the three new buildings differently.


Architect: Uwe Kiessler

Date: 1997
City: Munich
Address: Salvatorplatz 1

The Literature House in Munich is a cultural institution in the city center, dedicated to teaching literature and the organization of literary events. On the square is the Salvator Church. Due to the Decision of the Munich Municipality to build a school, the market was displaced and was integrated
into the ground floor of the new building. The market was closed down in 1906. In 1993, the Munich
City Council decided to renovate the building as a literary house. Renovation of the building and Salvatorplatz began in 1995. In addition to various meeting rooms, the building now also houses a bookstore. Literaturhaus opened in June 1997.

Hildegardstrasse Mixed Use

Architect: Peter C von Seidlein
Client: PC von Seidlein, Munich
Date: 1997
City: Munich
Address: Hildegardstrasse 11

The residential and commercial building is located near the famous boulevard Maximilianstrasse. The
finely proportioned wood and glass facade shows its vibrant character through the interplay of the different open and closed windows and blinds. Nevertheless, in order to produce a strong outer cover, the apartments were provided with a special detail: movable, floor to ceiling windows bring light into living and sleeping areas and this - if desired - from spacious balconies. For the duplex apartments in the roof space large double hung windows are designed to be operated by electric motor.

Kirchenzentrum (Church Center)

Architect: Florian Nagler

Date: 2005
City: Munich / Riem
Address: Platz der Menschenrechte 1–3
Public Transport Stop: Messestadt West

The new city of Riem forms part of Munich’s strategy for growth, which is based on three concepts: urban, compact and green. It lies on the the land of the former airport and tries to achieve a liveable environment for 16,000 inhabitants and a 200-hectare park. In 1998 the trade fair installations were inaugurated and the first residents started to arrive. Ten years later, Riem is a bustling mixture
of workers and residents, with a neighbourhood life revolving around the shopping centre, located in the
pedestrian area, and the civic-educational-religious centre designed by Nagler. Two Catholic and Protestant
churches share the space.

Datenwerk Office Building

Architect: Florian Nagler

Date: 2005
City: Munich /Riem
Address: Riem district
Public Transport Stop: Messestadt Riem West

According to the architect, “the ‘Datenwerk’office building users are not keen on light, because they are
working at screens, and in their previous office, with the shutters down, it was always dark. It was awful for the working atmosphere. The first priority was light. There is no direct sunlight at all: the large window faces north, and to the south there is a projecting roof and the expanses of greenery, which has an additional filtering effect.”

Two Family House

Architect: Thomas Herzog and Partner

Date: 1989
City: Munich Pullach
Address: Habenschadenstrasse 46

This building’s cross section resembles that of a boat. In order to “balance” this boat, the architect has
linked it to a narrow structure, like the outrigger of a Polynesian canoe. The main framework consists of
laminated timber beams with glass cladding suspended around the exterior. Internally a number of crosswalls act as structural stiffeners and, along the length of the building, diagonal tubular steel tension members flank a 300 mm service zone. Much wider than the house, the glass  roof is insulated at its central section, but cantilevers out supported by plywood ribs. These projections will eventually carry PV cells. Because of its extremely light construction and extensive glazing, the building needs
protection against overheating.

TUM Student Housing

Architect: Fink + Jocher
Client: Studentenwerk München
Date: 2005
City: Munich Garching
Address: Enzianstraße 1-3
Public Transport Stop: Garching

The building comes from the idea of a platform on which all lifestyles are possible side by side without disturbing one another. Within the rooms, no certain configuration is specified. Instead, the degree of certainty is minimized as much as possible in order to accommodate changing living styles of residents. All furniture has wheels so that rooms can be shifted around. Several hundred vines grow along a cable net which is stretched over the entire building. They will shade the building in summer, colour it red in autumn, and lose their leaves in winter, letting the sun shine into the building.


Solar Fabrik

Architect: Rolf + Hotz Architects

Date: 1998
City: Freiburg
Address: Munzingerstrasse 10

Founded in 1996, Solar-Fabrik’s product range includes high-quality solar components as well as complete solar power systems. In addition to the module manufacturing as a core competency is the solar plant through a subsidiary also operates in the production of high quality solar cells. The total capacity currently stands at 130 megawatts (MW) per year. In Europe’s first zero-emissions
manufacturing facility for solar modules, production is CO2-neutral. In 2009, the company moved into an ultra-modern plant in Freiburg with 15,000 m² of space and the possibility for future expansions at the site.

Solar Settlement in Freiburg Vauban

Architect: Rolf Disch

Date: 2000
City: Freiburg Vauban

Public Transport Stop: Merzhauser Strasse 183

This 59 home community utilizes Disch’s PlusEnergy concept originally created for the Heliotrope. It is the first housing community in the world where all the homes produce a positive energy balance and which is emissions-free and CO2 neutral. They contribute towards the goal of sustainable development and show the entire world that communities like this are economical, beautiful, comfortable and in fact preferable. The tenants at the Solar Settlement do not claim to have made any compromises in their living situations but rather that they have both environmentally and economically improved.

Rotating House

Architect: Rolf Disch
Client: Rolf Disch
Date: 1994
City: Freiburg

Built as the private residence of Rolf Disch, the Heliotrope is a one-of-akind design. It was the first building in the world to create more energy than it uses, of which is entirely renewable, emissions free and CO2 neutral. It physically rotates to track the sun, allowing it to capture maximum light and warmth. Different energy generation innovations in combination with the superior insulation allow the Heliotrope to produce anywhere between 4 to 6 times its energy usage depending on the time of year. It is also fitted with a grey-water cleansing system and built-in natural waste composting.


Parish Center St. Francis

Architect: Konigs Architects
City: Regensburg

The interpretation for this new Parish Center is remarkable for an ecclesiastical building. It adopts elements of traditional church construction and translates them into a modern architectural language. Externally, the new church has the appearance of a modest, monolithic block. The only tokens of an ecclesiastical function are the free-standing belfry and the old church with its oniondomed tower. The dynamic, elliptical internal space with sloping walls are covered by a translucent membrane roof,bathing the space in a mild, indirect light that varies according to the weather and the inclination of the sun, creating an atmosphere of mystery and meditation.

House in Regensburg

Architect: Thomas Herzog and Partner

Date: 1979
City: Regensburg

Designed for the architect’s sister, this house was build on a difficult suburban infill site two meters below street level and subject to flooding. Ruthlessly geometrical in plan and triangular in section, the house features a large, south facing glass roofed conservatory is inclined so as to maximize solar gain and connect seamlessly with the zinc roof above it. The structure of the house, which is raised off the ground, is of laminated timber with rear and side walls heavily insulated and boarded in Oregon pine. The profile of the glass roof is cut back to provide an entrance court and another designed to  accommodate a mature existing beech tree. Internally the house is divided into climatic zones of which
only the innermost is fully heated.

Ingolstadt and Eichstätt


Date: 1255-present
City: Ingolstadt

Located along the banks of the Danube River, Ingolstadt was connected to Nuremberg by a high-speed rail link since May 2006. The city of Ingolstadt features many gothic buildings, such as the  Herzogskasten (Old castle; ca. 1255) and the New Castle, which was built from 1418 onwards. The largest church is the gothic hall Church of Our Lady which was begun in 1425. Several other churches and monasteries date from the gothic era. The Kreuztor (1385) is one of the remaining gates of the old city wall. The gothic Old City Hall was also constructed in the 14th century, but later altered several times. The baroque era is also still represented many buildings. Ingolstadt was also the birthplace of the fictional monster as created by the scientist Victor Frankenstein. The headquarters of the German automobile manufacturer Audi are located here.


Eichstätt (formerly also Eichstädt or Aichstädt) is a city in the federal state of Bavaria, Germany, and capital of the District of Eichstätt. It is located along the Altmühl River. It is home to the Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, the lone Catholic university in Germany. It is also the location of much of the work of architect Karljosef Schattner, who has been called the Carlo Scarpa of Bavaria.

Audi Forum Ingolstadt

Architect: Fink + Jocher
Client: Audi

City: Ingolstadt
With its museum and restaurants, concerts, cinema and the “Market and Customer” service centre, the
Audi Forum is an interesting and varied amenity for visitors. The Audi museum mobile brings the philosophy and history of the premium manufacturer to life. The strikingly designed customer centre provides a fitting context for personalized customer advice as well as a venue for those wishing to collect their new vehicle directly from the manufacturer in person. Numerous discovery tours give visitors an exciting glimpse behind the scenes.

Glentleiten Open Air Museum

Client: Regional Board of Upper Bavaria
Date: 1976
City: Outside Murnau

Public Transport Stop: RVO bus from Murnau or Kochel

The open-air museum at the Glentleiten is an outdoors museum and exists above of Großweil in the upper Bavarian Alps zone between Murnau and the Kochelsee. The open-air museum is an arrangement of the district Upper Bavaria. The museum shows the rural lifestyles and economies of past centuries.

Franz Marc Museum

Architect: Diethelm & Spillmann
Client: Etta and Otto Stangl Foundation
Date: 1986/2008
City: Kochel
Address: Franz Marc Park 8-10
Public Transport Stop: Train to Kochel,15 minute walk

The Franz Marc museum in Kochel was built in 1986, but a new expansion was built in 2008. The modern addition expanded the museum by 700 square meetings, and places the post-war abstraction works of Franz Marcs in a new context.

Center for Gerontology

Architect: Wörsching GmbH & Co. KG
Client: German Environment Found
Date: 2003
City: Bad Tölz
Address: Professor Max Lange Platz
Public Transport Stop: Walk from Bad Tolz train station

The concept was to create a membrane facade to this snail shape multi storey building protecting the
walkways, office areas and shops. The architect’s intention was to provide a highly transparent facade with a minimised structure to offer an uninterrupted view from the gangways to the outside. Natural UV-light is provided to the inside and at the same time minimises the maintenance costs due to the anti-adhesive properties of the ETFE film. The achievement was to build the first single layered ETFE facade in the world.

Monastery at Raitenhaslach

City: Raitenhaslach

This monastery dates back to the year 1345 and it was rebuilt in baroque style between 1690 and 1696
and a few years later in Rococo-style. In 1780 pope Pius VI came to Raitenhaslach and spent the night in
the so-called “Praelatenzimmer” that is still one of the most beautiful rooms today. You may visit the ornate church freely and without restrictions during the day. The monastery is also open for visitation. This monastery would need a lot of repairs and restorations still, BUT it also looks great already the way it is today. Between 1396 and 1502 many members of the Wittelsbacher Dynasty were buried in Raitenhaslach.

Monastery at Weltenburg

City: Weltenburg

The abbey is situated on a peninsula in the Danube. The monastery, founded by Irish or Scottish monks
around 620, is held to be the oldest monastery in Bavaria. The courtyard is surrounded by Baroque buildings, the highlight of which is the abbey church which was built between 1716 and 1739. The abbey was dissolved in 1803 during the secularization of Bavaria, but re-founded in 1842 as a priory of Metten Abbey. It has been a member of the Bavarian Congregation of the Benedictine Confederation since 1858 and was raised to the status of an independent abbey in 1913. Their award-winning brewery may be the oldest in the world, operating since 1050.

Bergwacht Bayern Training Center

Architect: Thomas Herzog and Partner

Date: 2008
City: Bad Tolz

This project established a realistic training center for a mountain rescue crew. To reproduce a suitable atmosphere for the helicopter crew of the flight simulator, they created a highly transparent façade. The structural characteristics of the cube are triple belted steel frames clad with modular membrane façade elements tensioned over a series of internal vertical arches. The result is an elegant, transparent low weight envelope that protects against the elements and gives the right environment for the simulator training. Hightex is world leader in creating tensile structures and fabric architecture in tensioned
membranes such as PTFE, PVC, and ETFE is realized.


Architect: Palais Mai
Client: Municipality Ottobrunn
Date: 2009
City: Ottobrunn
Address: Buchenstrasse 1

The new scouts’ house is situated in a small woodland, and barely touches the ground. The building is
entered through a tent-like, protected area below the upper floor, which is raised up from the ground
and into the trees. Stairs form something like an arena, connecting the light, spacious upper floor to the
shadowy, weatherproof area on the ground floor. The developing space continuum unites the inside with the outside, creating a multitude of locations, situations and qualities that can be used by groups of all ages in different ways. The house is built with a wood frame construction. The exterior skin is made of translucent acrylic glass panels.

Markt Indersdorf Grammar School

Architect: Allmann Sattler Wappner
Client: Indersdorf

City: Indersdorf

Markt Indersdorf lies in the heart of the district of Dachau, just 22 miles north of central Munich. This school is distinguished by its clear, compact form: a rectangular structure raised on stilts and laid out around a central open space. On the ground floor are a recreation hall – which serves as an entrance and assembly space – and a sports hall. This intermediate area is flanked by two broad flights of stairs that can be used as informal seating. The outdoor staircase also serves as part of the escape route from the two storeys of classrooms. The stairs in the entrance hall form part of the internal circulation system.

Montessorischool, Kaufering

Architect: Palais Mai
Client: Montessori Förderverein Kaufering e.V.
Date: 2009
City: Kaufering
Address: Viktor-Frankl-Strasse 29

This school is located on the southern outskirts of Kaufering. The wooden front of the building is broken up by large, copper-plated window frames that surround the whole building. In this way, the three construction stages maintain a uniform appearance – they become one big house. Serving as furniture for reading or learning, the window frames also open up the classrooms to the outside. Three atriums with different dedications (schoolyard, water court, playground) form protected, partly roofed outdoor areas and create sight-lines across the courtyards. The school is built in timber systems construction from prefabricated elements.

Andechs Abbey

Date: 1423 / 1712
City: Andechs

The Benedictine abbey of Andechs is a place of pilgrimage on a hill east of the Ammersee, and is famed for its flamboyant Baroque church built in 1712 and its brewery. The late-Gothic collegiate church erected in 1423 was changed into a Benedictine monastery in 1455, and filled with monks from Tegernsee Abbey. In 1458 it was raised to an abbey, and thenceforth enjoyed a period of uninterrupted prosperity, completely remodeled in Baroque style in 1712, and forming part of the Hofmark Erling until its secularization in 1803. It was refounded in 1850 as a Benedictine priory, affiliated to the Abbey of St Boniface in Munich. The present church dates from the 18th century. The 20th century German composer Carl Orff is buried there.

Windberg Abbey

Date: 1100s
City: Windberg

Windberg Abbey was an already established community by 1121. It was dissolved during the  secularisation of Bavaria in 1803. In 1923 the monastic community was re-established, and
as of 2005, 33 Premonstratensian canons live here. The church is a three-aisled basilica with transept.
It mostly originates from the 12th century and shows the influence of Hirsau Abbey. The monumental chief portal is especially impressive; the north portal is simpler. The tower, built in the 13th century, received its present form as recently as 1750 - 1760. The Baroque high altar was made between 1735-1740, and contains a statue of the Virgin from 1650. The pulpit dates from 1674. The
stucco work in the church interior was created by Mathias Obermayr.

Herzog Guesthouse

Architect: Thomas Herzog and Partner

Date: 1991
City: Windberg

This project was designed to house visiting youth groups at the Windberg Monastery. Energy  consumption considerations affected the development of the design; the principal strategy was prioritizing new rooms according to the length of time they would be occupied. Larger living
spaces were located on the south side to use solar heat gain during the day, with the windows and
enclosing walls serving as thermal retention elements. The northern, smaller rooms were limited to short
use requiring little heating, but were equipped with insulation and a high thermal performance external wall. They use solar water heaters to supply the facility with both hot water and space heating.

Earth Station Raisting

Client: German Federal Post Office
Date: 1964
City: Raisting

The earth station Raisting (near the Ammersee) is a ground station to communicate with satellites. With
its large satellite dishes, it is visible from afar. It was built by the German Federal Post Office, modified by the Deutsche Telekom AG, and was purchased by Emerging Markets Communications
Inc. (EMC) in 2006. EMC provides satellite-based telecommunications services to various UN
and relief organizations. The antenna 1, which is located in a spherical air dome, is called the ‘Radom’, and is no longer in operation. In1999 it was declared as a monument. In the summer, the outer surface of the Radom is used as a canvas for an open-air cinema.

Islamic Forum Penzburg

Architect: Jasarevic Architects
City: Penzberg
Public Transport Stop:

With its distinctive appearance, the building and its delicate tower fit into the surroundings, where the traditional village structure has already been broken with the form of different rooflines and ornaments between rusticality and post-war monotony. The architects arranged the rooms under a single roof on an L-shaped ground plan. The facades are clad in pale stone, and clearly indicate the different functions of the rooms. To the east there is a full-length blue glass ornamented window. The entrance features two concrete slabs that swing out of the wall like open gates, inviting visitors into the house in German and Arabic script; the stainless steel door is open to all.

Walchensee Hydroelectric Power Plant

Client: E.ON
Date: 1924
City: Kochel
Address: 14 km outside Kochel

Oskar von Miller was the planner for the building of the Walchenseekraftwerks, which brought  electrification to much of Bavaria. The storage power station uses the natural downward gradient of about 200 m between Walchensee, serving as an “upper reservoir” and the “lower reservoir” of Kochelsee to generate electricity. Through six 450 meter long pipes, which connect the two natural “basins”, the water flows to the turbines of this hydro-electric power plant.